Friday, August 15, 2008

Roasted Eggplant Dish


Roasted eggplant is probably one of my favorite veggies. It just gets the best flavor and consistency when it's been in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. So, last night for dinner, I wanted to roast an eggplant. When I do this, I usually prepare it with a greek style salad including some combination of the following: lettuce, chicken, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, hummus, pita, feta and tzatsiki sauce. Alas, last night I had no lettuce, and I knew that I would get to eat the entire eggplant with Ryan still gone (sorry, the kids will NOT eat eggplant, can't seem to force that issue).

I hashed a new plan. Just had to share it because it was SOOO good. After peeling and dicing the eggplant (I don't like the skin, it gets really hard once cooked), I drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Baked it at 400 degrees for 45 minutes give or take.

Meanwhile, I started perusing my fridge. I had run out of my fresh veggies already this week. But, I did have a jar of kalamata olives and roasted red peppers. And, some minute brown rice. I cooked 1/4 cup of rice (one serving) and at the end of the cooking, added the chopped olives and one chopped bell pepper.

I piled the roasted eggplant on a plate (took up most of the plate...and it's a veggie!). Layered the rice mixture over the top. Sprinkled some fat free feta (which is great) and a dollop of tzatsiki sauce (which is the kind from Costco that I could eat with a spoon).

All in all, my favorite meal of the week. And, very gourmet for the amount of time put in. Also, not a single thing in that meal was bad for me.

I would have taken a picture, because is was pretty, too. But, I was too hungry. The pic above is just eggplant. But, let it inspire you.

J

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I will take one, to go, please. That sounds unbelievable!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com