Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Canyon Lake Camping Trip


We returned home on Wednesday from a wonderful camping trip. It was Ryan and I and the kids to include my 16 year old step-son, Ryan.

We arrived at Canyon Lake on Monday morning. We went to the Air Force recreational side of the lake. Even with it being late July, the weather was nice, especially with the breeze coming off the lake. We spent our time eating s'mores, swimming in the lake, and taking nature hikes.

We spent our first night in tents. The heat wasn't too bad, but the wind was insane. Nevertheless, we did get sleep. But, I did begin the notice that by early afternoon, it was hard to escape the heat. By Tuesday afternoon, Ryan and I were able to take a nap (thanks to the laptop loaded with a movie and the help of that 16 y/0). But, the heat was too oppressive for that nap.

While on our many trip to the bathroom (4 trips in one swimming break alone) I noticed the quaint little "cabins" right on the lake. When I had called earlier the week before, I had been told that the cabins were all booked until school. But, these "cabins" did not look booked to me. Then I noticed that these were labeled as "shelters." So, Tuesday afternoon I went and rented us a "shelter." Thank you very much.

These 10x10 buildings consist of 3 bed, a potty, a shower, a microwave, a ROOF and most importantly, an A/C. That was the best night's sleep ever. They are also covered in shade trees an each have their own grill and fire pit. And, they are a mere 50 feet to the beach that we had been driving to.

Ryan and I decided this was how we wanted to camp from now on. Just as I thought before, I can be a camper if I can have the following: 1. a roof, 2. A/C, 3. my OWN POTTY.

Hope you enjoy the pics. It really was a precious time.



J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool.

Amy said...

I have very sweet memories of that place that I'll tell you about later (too long to write in the comment section of your blog).

Looks like you had a great time!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com