Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July


I certainly hope everyone is enjoying their day celebrating our nation's independence. I am particularly thankful this year to have my husband home. I have celebrated 4 Independence Day's with my husband in another country. It's always been a very pride-filled day for me. But, it has also left me feeling lonely and scared for the safety of my husband. I am so happy to have him here this year...manning the grill and enjoying time with me and kids. I want to thank all of my family and friends who prayed without ceasing while he was deployed. So, in that spirit, allow this day to remind you to never stop praying for the safety and well-being for those deployed serving our country. In as much, continue to pray for those left behind. They often have the hardest job.

Here's one more challenge: next time you say you support the troops, really support the troops. Below is a list of things that I think could help:

  • mow the lawn for a family with a missing husband
  • bring a meal or invite them to dinner
  • invite your friend to a girls night and arrange childcare for her kid(s)
  • just call to check on them and be prepared to let her vent
  • send a care package to the deployed troop - just filled with fun stuff
  • take her kids for a few hours with no strings attached
These are just a few things that I know meant SO MUCH to me. It's easy to feel isolated when you're in this position. Don't feel like you need to know how she feels. You can admit that you don't. Just be there...really be there.

Thanks for reading this post. Again, I hope you all enjoy your family time today.

J

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com