Monday, June 23, 2008

It's not a tumor!

Well, maybe it is.

Ok, so I've been complaining for awhile now about a roaring in my left ear. It started as just annoying. As it progressed (i.e. the roaring is now ALWAYS present) I started to be concerned. I finally saw and ENT about it today and my doctor thinks it might be....(drum roll please)......a tumor.

Now, before any of you become alarmed, the type of said tumor is benign. But, it still has to be removed. This leaves me most worried about...will I have to get an i.v.? People are not good with me and i.v.'s. And, if I have the surgery where they go in behind the ear and not in it...I bet I won't be able to wash my hair for a few days. And that's just really gross for me. I mean my hair gets NASTY. And, I won't be able to work out. I might as well start eating brownies now.

So, my possible diagnosis is Glomus Tympanicum. Apparently, it's only a 1 in 1.3 million condition. I suppose that's why none of us has ever heard of it. There is also a second possible diagnosis, which is Dehiscent Jugular Vein. This second option requires no surgery, no nothing. Just for me to live the rest of my life with a persistent roaring in my ear, and oh yeah, forgot to mention hearing loss as well (which apparently I do have).

I've googled the above in case anyone cares to read what this is.

Glomus Tympanicum

Glomus tumors grow from small collections of nerve-derived cells (glomus cells, also known as glomus bodies). These special cells are found in the walls of certain blood vessels and along nerves. Glomus bodies are chemoreceptors, which means that these cells can detect chemical changes in the blood. Normal glomus cells also make hormones (similar to adrenaline) that can be released into the blood stream.

Glomus tumors are typically slow growing tumors that grow along paths of low resistance. As such, glomus tumors may grow inside nerve canals, along blood vessels, and inside the eustachian tube (the tube that connects the ear to
the back of the nose). These tumors also have a very rich blood supply.

Symptoms
Glomus tympanicum tumors develop inside the middle ear. The most common symptom is that of a pulsing sound as blood flows through the vessels of the tumor (pulsatile tinnitus). Other symptoms of a glomus tympanicum include a conductive hearing loss (caused by the tumor blocking sound transmission through the middle ear), ear pain and bleeding from the ear.

Diagnosis
Diagnosis is made based on the patient's symptoms, physical examination findings and a combination of tests. A common physical examination finding is that of a reddish/bluish mass behind the ear drum (tympanic membrane) (see Figures below). A hearing test and computed tomography scan (CT) are performed routinely. CT is needed to determine the size of a tumor and the relationships of the tumor with structures within the ear. CT tomography is also useful because it can see small erosions or openings in bone.

Treatment
The vast majority of glomus tympanicum tumors are treated with surgical removal. Small glomus tympanicum tumors are removed through incisions confined to the ear canal, while larger glomus tympanicum tumors are removed through an incision behind the ear. Surgical removal of glomus tympanicum tumors is typically performed under general anesthesia on an out patient basis (same day surgery). The chance of recurrence is quite low if the tumor is completely removed.
In case anyone is interested in seeing a pic of this tumor, look here. I
refuse to post that picture on my blog.

The second diagnosis option is a Dehiscent Jugular. Not really as sure about that one. There is not so much about it on the web - only med speak.

So, my next step is to get an special kind of X-ray where apparently this little tumor will "light up" like a young starlet on Broadway.

I guess it's good to know. I just want to get this over with.

I'll keep you posted.

Jen

1 comments:

Unknown said...

To the tune of I Heard a Rumor...

You have a tumor (yes you do, yes you do)
The doctor is gonna take it out!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com